Goods and property worth millions of naira were on Thursday destroyed when some shops were burnt in Ondo, the headquarters of Ondo West Local Government.
It was gathered that the incident occurred in Oka area of the town where automobile spare parts shops are situated.
According to an eyewitness, all efforts to put out the fire when it started in the morning were not successful.
The fire was said to have been caused by high voltage when electricity was restored to the area by the Benin Electricity Distribution Company, BEDC.
However, the owner of the affected shops, Alhaji Adewale Hassan, who appealed to the state government for assistance, said:
“I left the shop at about 7:30pm yesterday (Wednesday) and was called upon by sympathisers, informing me that my shop was on fire, caused by the high votage of electricity brought by the BEDC, which resulted to explosion that effected the shops.
“Immediately, I called the fire service to our rescue but they did not respond, they said their vehicle was bad.”
The Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, Ondo State Command Mr. Femi Joseph who confirmed the incident, said the command had commenced investigation into the incident while no life was lost in the incident.